Genuine Full-grain Leather is one of the most versatile and natural materials in the world and when kept right it can last for a lifetime. But for that, you need to show your leather some love. We at Leatherlly wants you to enjoy your handmade genuine leather goods for years to come. With the help of our handy guide, your most treasured piece of heart will remain as good as new. Here are some easy to follow Leather care instructions that you could follow to maintain leather goods.
Everyday Leather Care
- Leather is a natural material that needs to breathe! To maintain leather's origin texture avoid filling your leather laptop, messenger, duffle or satchel bag excessively as it can cause wear and tear in your leather goods.
- To maintain the natural lustre of the leather bag take a soft cotton cloth to wipe off the dust from the products.
- Keep leather away from direct sunlight as it will dry out the natural texture of leather and make it brittle. It can further cause cracks and tear.
- If you want a darker shade for your leather products, keep them in sunlight for not more then 30-45 minutes. It will start the natural sun-tanning process and further makes the colour vintage brown.
- While carrying leather bags, try to avoid contact with clothes that are heavily embellished or has sharp edges as it can scrap the materiel.
- During the rainy season take extra care of your leather products to prevent foul smell.
- Try to keep your leather products as much as possible away from water or humid area as it will make leather smell bad.
Leather Products Storage Tips
- It is advisable to store your leather products in cotton bags to provide the leather with proper ventilation. If necessary put a small hole in the cotton bag.
- During rainy season keep your accessories in plastic bags and when you want to use it take it outside so that all the foul smell can went away.
- Keep your leather bags, journals, wallets, purse, etc away from direct sunlight as it can dry out the natural oils of the leather and further fading the leather.
- Keep leather products away from an artificial source of heat, like electric heater, as it will cause wear and cracks.
- You should not keep your leather goods in wet and humid places as it will promote the growth of mildew. Store it in a dry place away from sunlight.
- It is recommended to store leather goods in a dry place but too much dryness is also bad for leather's life as it will cause the leather to crack.
Leather Cleaning Tips
- If you are using your leather products daily then spilling is normal. You should clear the products with a soft cotton cloth.
- It is recommended to clean the leather bag, wallet, belts, or journals with a dry white cotton cloth. Do not apply water, oil, or try to wash away the greasy spot. If necessary use lukewarm water only and let it dry naturally.
- Do not dry the wet leather products with a hairdryer or any other devices.
- In an unusual case, like if a chewing gum got stuck on the bag, place an ice cube in a plastic bag, and apply it to that area. Wait several minutes, lift the ice bag, and remove the chewing gum gently.
- Do not use chemicals, saddle soap, furniture polish, cleaning solvents, abrasive cleaners, soap, or ammonium water to clean the leather products.
- To maintain the natural moisture of the leather use specific leather conditioners and wipe off excess conditioner with a clean white cotton cloth. It causes minimal color change, keeps the fiber supple.
- If you are conditioning the leather goods with oil it is advisable to use vegetable oil or Neatsfoot oil as any other inappropriate oil can make leather sticky.
- If you are using Wax conditioner to condition the leather goods then it may not penetrate deeply but it provides excellent surface protection from water and other liquids.
- Normal leather conditioning can be done twice a year but if you are using the product often in sun then it is recommended to condition leather at least three to four times a year.
How to remove the smell from Leather Products?
- The odour of the leather bags just went away when it is used frequently for 1-2 weeks. So it is suggested to wait for a while and the smell will automatically fade away with daily use.
- Try the Natural Sun Tanning process in which you have to put your bag outside in the sun for not more than 30-45 minutes. Do not overdo the sun exposure as it can create cracks in the bag due to overheating of the material used to glue the bag. Repeat this process for 2-3 days and your query will be resolved.
- If after Natural Sun Tanning you still feel some odour then you can use any talcum powder sprinkle it on the bag and rub it with a soft cotton cloth, your problem will be solved.
- Always try to use your clean hands when carrying any leather product as these products are susceptible to absorbing grease and oils. Wipe the surface of the leather product with a damp cotton cloth but avoid using too much water as the leather takes time to dry.
- If there are stains on the products make sure to remove them immediately or as soon as possible otherwise it won't be easy to remove them later.
- For removing organic stains, crush white chalk, let it sit on the stain overnight, and wipe it off with a clean cotton cloth.
- If you use your leather bags occasionally then make sure to stuff them with bubble wrap to restore and hold their shape. You can also cover the metallic parts like chains and handles with clean acid-free tissue paper.
- Before storing any leather product make sure it's completely dry and there are no signs of moisture left otherwise it will start smelling bad.
Follow all these easy steps and your leather accessories will be your companion forever.